Shepherd's Pie - The Ultimate Comfort Food
- 3 large potatoes
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 2 cups vegetables (mixed diced carrots, corn, peas)
- 700 grams ground beef
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 6 tbsp milk
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- Boil the potatoes: Place the peeled and quartered potatoes in medium sized pot. Cover with at least an inch of cold water. Add a teaspoon of salt. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook until tender (about 20 minutes).
- Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F). Sauté vegetables: While the potatoes are cooking, melt 4 tablespoons olive oil in a large sauté pan on medium heat. Add the chopped onions and carrots and cook until tender, about 6 to 10 minutes.Add peas and corn towards the end of the cooking of the onions and carrots, or after the meat starts to cook, as they take very little cooking time.
- Add the ground beef, then Worcestershire sauce and broth: Add ground beef to the pan with the onions and vegetables. Cook until no longer pink. Season with salt and pepper. Coat the ingredients in 2 tablespoons of flour.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce and beef broth. Bring the broth to a simmer and reduce heat to low. Cook uncovered for 10 minutes, adding more beef broth if necessary to keep the meat from drying out.
- Mash the cooked potatoes: When the potatoes are done cooking (easily pierced with a fork), remove them from the pot, drain the water and place them in a bowl with the remaining 4 Tbsp of butter. Mash with a fork or potato masher, add 6 tablespoons of milk and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Layer the meat mixture and mashed potatoes in a casserole dish: Spread the beef, onions, and vegetables (if using) in an even layer in a large baking dish (22cm x 33cm casserole dish) (8" x 13" casserole dish). Bake for 30 minutes.