- 1 1 broiler/fryer chicken - cut up (3-1/2 to 4 pounds),
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 chopped onion
- 1 large green pepper cut into strips
- 2 celery ribs cut into slices
- 1/2 lb sliced fresh mushrooms 25 kg
- 1 can tomatoes, cut up and juice reserved 28 oz. I use fresh tomatoes cut into cubes (800gm)
- 1 can tomato sauce 8 oz = 225 gm
- 1 can tomato paste 6 oz = 170 gm
- 1 cup dry red wine or water
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 3 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 tbsp sugar I use panela or demerara sugar
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- hot, cooked pasta I prefer to use fettuccine noodles or egg noodles
- salt and pepper to taste
- Dust chicken with flour. Season with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, brown chicken on all sides in oil and butter over medium-high heat. Remove chicken to platter.
- In the same skillet, cook and stir the onion, celery, pepper and mushrooms for 5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, wine, herbs, garlic and sugar. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Return chicken to skillet. Cover and simmer for 45-60 minutes or until chicken is tender. Serve over pasta and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Freeze option: Cool chicken mixture. Freeze in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through slowly in a covered skillet until a thermometer inserted in chicken reads 165°, stirring occasionally.