The municipal district of Patraix owes its name to the neighborhood of Patraix which dates back to Roman times. Proof of this can be found on tombstones with inscriptions from that period. According to the Llibre del Repartiment (a record book where the King’s scribes recorded promises of properties to be donated at the end of the Valencian conquest. The scribes would later write the names of the persons who actually took possession), there was an Andalusian farmhouse bearing the name “Petraher” as well as other references of “Petrair”. At the time of the Conquest, James I donated the farmhouse to his scribe who then passed it on to the Escrivá family and afterwards, the Fenollar family. In 1567, it was confiscated by the Crown and sold to the Marquises of Elche who, in 1769 sold their lordship to the first Marquis of Cruilles whose descendants obtained the title of Barons of Patraix.
During the reign of Carlos III, Valencia was divided into four quarters, governed by its own mayors. Patraix was one of them and even became a head of the judicial party. In 1849, Pascual Madoz gave the following description:
“…Lugar con ayuntamiento de la provincia […] de Valencia (10 minutos). Sit. en terreno llano al SO. de la misma ciudad, le baten generalmente los vientos del E. y O.; su clima es templado y saludable. Tiene 61 casas, cárcel pequeña, 2 antiguos palacios casi arruinados; escuela de niños a la que concurren 30 […]; iglesia parroquial dedicada a San Nicolás de Bari, aneja de la de los Stos. Juanes de la ciudad de Valencia. Carece de territorio propio, pues el terreno que le circunda corresponde al de aquella ciudad: su jurisdicción municipal solo se extiende al caserío. Los caminos que parten del pueblo son locales y dirigen á los pueblos limitrofes. […] Población: 100 vecinos, 476 almas…”
Diccionario de Madoz (Madoz, Pascual, 1849). Diccionario geográfico-estadístico-histórico de España y sus posesiones de Ultramar 12. p. 720.
“… Place with City Hall of the province […] of Valencia (10 minutes). Sit. on flat ground to the SO. from the same city, the winds of the E. and O beat him generally; its climate is temperate and healthy. It has 61 houses, a small jail, 2 old palaces that are almost in ruins; school for children attended by 30 […]; parish church dedicated to San Nicolás de Bari, attached to the Saints John of the city of Valencia. It lacks its own territory, because the land that surrounds it corresponds to that of the city: its municipal jurisdiction only extends to the hamlet. The roads that leave from the town are local and direct to the bordering towns. […] Population: 100 neighbors, 476 souls … “
Dictionary of Madoz (Madoz, Paschal, 1849). Geographic-statistical-historical dictionary of Spain and its overseas possessions 12. p. 720
In 1865, the walls were demolished and the plans to expand the city of Valencia was underway. In 1870, Patraix was one of the first municipalities to be annexed by Valencia.
To the north, it is bordered by L’Olivereta, to the east by Extramurs and Jesus, to the south by Poblados del Sur and to the west, by the municipality of Chirivella. Patraix is made up of 5 neighborhoods: Patraix, Sant Isidre, Vara de Quart, Safranar and Favara.