Towards the end of the 19th Century, the “new” area spread towards the south of the city, widening it. In the 1850s, the population of Valencia, whose perimeter was still limited to the city within the walls and some suburbs, needed the first ideas of expansion. Despite this, it would not be until 1864 when the 1st Law of Expansion was published. A year later, in 1865, interim civil governor Cirilo Amorós, ordered the demolition of the Christian walls. As a pretext, he alleged the need to provide work to those affected by the silk crisis and the need to expand the city. The Christian Wall received its first blow by pickaxe on the 20th of February 1865 at 16:30.
In spite of the projects, the revolutionary events of 1868 paralyzed all proposals making them unviable, thus giving rise to the definitive expansion in 1876. A year later, in 1877, this territory was annexed as Valencia along with the rest of the municipality of Ruzafa (which was an independent municipality until that year). It should also be noted that Ruzafa already existed and had nothing to do with the expansion scheme and instead, adapted to the expansion pattern around it.
In 1811, the population of Ruzafa (which comprised practically all of the current districts of Ensanche, Quatre Carreres and Poblados del Sur) was grouped as an independent municipality of the City of Valencia until, finally and as we have mentioned previously, 1877.
The project to develop the district was formulated by José Calvo, Joaquín M.ª Arnau and Luis Ferreres. In 1876 the beginning of the first phase was started. However, it took a long time to complete because approval was finally met in 1887. Present day Eixample (Ensanche) has three districts: Russafa, El Pla del Remei and La Gran Vía.