I'm not a big fan of chocolate but John sure is. We both love coffee so when I came across this recipe 20 years ago from Epicure™, a Canadian company from Victoria, British Columbia, I decided to give it a try. It bakes up perfect and moist everytime. It's my go-to recipe whenever we want a slice of heaven.
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour , 430 ml
- 2 cups sugar, 500 ml - I use panela
- 1 cup cocoa powder, 250 ml
- 2 tsp baking soda, 10 ml
- 1 tsp baking powder, 5 ml
- 1 tsp salt, 5 ml
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil, 125 ml - I use olive oil.
- 1 cup cold, strong coffee, 250 ml
- 1 cup buttermilk, 250 ml
- 1 tsp vanilla extract, 5 ml
- Preheat oven to 350° F (175° C). Lightly spray a 9" x 13" (23 cm x 33 cm) pan with vegetable oil.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, Baking Powder and salt into mixing bowl.
- Add eggs, oil, coffee, buttermilk and vanilla extract. Beat with an electric mixer at medium speed for 2 minutes. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in centre of cake comes out clean.
- Dust with icing sugar, cocoa.
Divide batter between three 6-inch round cake pans. Bake until a cake tester inserted in centre comes out clean, 18 to 25 minutes. Cool, then spread each round with chocolate icing and stack.